The individual will be responsible for maintenance of laboratory equipment, primarily High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC), Gas Chromatography (GC), Mass Spectrometry, Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry (ICP-MS) and other standard and non-standard analytical and microbiological instrumentation. The Senior Chemist will develop and validate methodology for potency and contaminant analyses in cannabis flower, concentrates and infused products as required by Cannabis Control Commission regulations. After method validation, the Senior Chemist will operate within an ISO 17025 accredited laboratory analyzing customer samples. The Senior Chemist will be responsible for conducting sample analysis at the bench, identifying areas where efficiencies can be implemented into laboratory process workflows, and supporting sales meetings as requested by laboratory management. Finally, the Senior Chemist will be responsible for training and supervision of a team of 3-5 scientists. Responsibility for performance reviews, promotions, and accounting of time worked are some of the tasks. The Senior Chemist is expected to take initiative and develop novel approaches to analytical problem solving. Past job experience or training gained obtaining a master’s degree appropriate to analytical chemistry are preferred. The Senior Chemist is expected to have developed an ability to optimize the laboratory workflows to maximize throughput and efficiency while maintaining a high level of quality. Additionally, the individual must be able to represent Smithers to clients both over the phone and in person and transmit a professional image.
A. Job Duties
1. Develops and validates required testing methodologies.
2. Conducts sample analyses in accordance with validated methods and SOPs
3. Schedules analyses
4. Records and organizes data in the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) and/or laboratory notebooks
5. Position will eventually train, supervise and coach junior level staff
6. Additional duties as assigned
Good technical writing skills in analytical chemistry [written and oral comprehension, written and oral expression]. Ability to integrate observations (visual and written, discrimination) into evaluation process. College math [mathematical reasoning, memorizing]. Ability to work at a fast pace without compromising accuracy or completeness, prioritize work assignments and handle stress [high productivity].
Sitting – 30%
Standing – 70%
Walking – 30%
Writing – 50%
Visual – 100%
B. Chemical Safety
1. Must be able to comprehend the potential hazards of the chemicals in use and adhere to the proper safety techniques as dictated by the Safety Manual and/or Management.
C. Laboratory Safety
1. Must be able to wear gloves, lab coat, eye protection, sleeves, hearing protection, pesticide suit, plastic booties, dust masks, a respirator, and a face mask.
2. Must be able to understand and follow laboratory safety standards.
B.S. degree in chemistry or related field required. 7 – 10 years of relevant laboratory experience. Masters or PhD is preferred. Previous experience in a cannabis testing lab required and experience in a supervisory capacity is a plus. Proficient in documentation and procedures required by ISO 17025 and Smithers Standard Operating Procedures (SOP).
Next Position Level – Laboratory Manager
SALARY: Between $80K and $120K depending on experience